Xavier Cortada Miami artist Xavier
Cortada created art installations
at the North Pole and South Pole to address environmental concerns at every point
in between. He’s been commissioned to create art for the White House, the World
Bank, Miami City Hall, Miami-Dade County Hall, Florida Botanical Gardens, the Miami
Art Museum, Museum of Florida History, Miami Science Museum and the Frost Art
Museum. Cortada has also developed numerous collaborative art projects globally,
including peace murals in Cyprus
and Northern Ireland, child
welfare murals in Bolivia
and Panama, AIDS murals in Geneva and South Africa, and eco-art projects in Taiwan, Holland, Hawaii and Latvia. (See bio)
- Artist-in-Residence and Director, Florida International University College of Architecture + The Arts | Office of Engaged Creativity, Miami Beach, FL (2011-present)
- Artistic Director and Founder, The Reclamation Project, Miami Science Museum, Miami, FL (2006-present)
- Professional Artist (1997-present)
- Vice Chair, Florida Council on Arts and Culture, Tallahassee, FL (present)
- Councilor, Miami-Dade Cultural Affairs Council, Miami, FL (present)
- Member, City of Miami Arts and Entertainment Council, Miami, FL (present)
- Member, , City of Miami Education Advisory Council, Miami, FL (present)
- Executive Committee, Miami-Dade Community Relations Board (CRB) (past)
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law Coral Gables, FL (December 1991).
- Master of Public Administration, University of Miami Graduate School, Coral Gables, FL (December 1991).
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Miami College of Arts and Sciences, Coral Gables, FL (December 1986).
- Painting the Genome for the Public, Science, 4 February 2011: Vol. 331 no. 6017 p. 548
- Green Museum, by Allison Compton, Public Art Review, Issue 40, pp 52-55 (Spring/Summer 2009).
- Global Warnings, by Suzaan Boettger, Art in America, Issue No. 6, pp. 154-161, 206-207, June/July 2008.
- The Arts: "The Longitudinal Installation: Representing those affected by climate change,"Resurgence, edition 243, page 32-33 (July/August 2007).
- Kunsthaus Miami exhibit. Review by Milagros Bello. Published in arte al día (International Magazine of Contemporary Latin American Art), edition 119, (July 2007).
- BLOOM at Kaohsiung International Container Art Festival, Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2011.
- Paths and Traces/Chemins et Tracés, Fondation Derouin – Symposium 2009, Les Jardins du Précambrien, Val-David, Quebec, Canada, 2009.
- Kunst- en natuurwandeling OverLeven, Foundation Nature Art Drenthe (Stichting Natuurkunst Drenthe), Drenthe, the Netherlands, 2009.
- 90N (North Pole) Installations, New York Foundation for the Arts, NYFA sponsored artist, 2008.
- Art in Antarctica (South Pole Installations), National Science Foundation Antarctic Artists and Writers Program, 2006-2007.
- Prior grantors also include: U.S. State Department, USAID, State of Florida Division of Cultural Affairs, Miami-Dade Cultural Affairs Council, Miami-Dade Art in Public Places.
SELECTED PUBLIC ART COMMISSIONS
2012 Broward Public Art and Design Progam, Port Everglades Terminal 2, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2010 Miami-Dade Art in Public Places, City of Miami Gardens Aquatic Center, Miami Gardens, FL
2008 Art in State Buildings, Frost Art Museum, Miami, FL.
2008 Monroe County Art in Public Places, Upper Keys Government Center, FL.
2008 Pinellas County Art in Public Places, Florida Botanical Gardens, Largo, FL.
2007 Monroe County Art in Public Places North Key Largo Fire Station, Key Largo, FL.
In recent years, Cortada has delivered formal lectures about his art at:
- Auburn University, Auburn, AL (2009)
- Exploratorium (at the Palace of Fine Arts), San Francisco, CA (2009)
- NKNU Graduate Institute of Interdisciplinary Art, Kaohsiung, Taiwan (2011)
- Parsons The New School for Design, New York, NY (2011)
- Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA (2008)
- Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (2010)
- San Jose State University, San Jose, CA (2010)
- United States Embassy, Helsinki, Finland (2008)
- University of South Florida St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, FL (2011)
SELECTED SOLO ART EXHIBITS:
2010 Sequentia, Frost Art Museum, Miami, FL.
2010 North Pole/South Pole (90n/90s) Installations, Miami Science Museum, Miami, FL.
2010 Endangered World: 80.15 W/ Installation, Biscayne National Park, Homestead, FL.
2009 Native Flags: North Pole, ecoartspace, Verge Art Fair, Miami Beach, FL.
2009 The Reclamation Project, Martin County Courthouse Cultural Center, Stuart, FL.
See more at EXHIBITS
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITS:
2010 New Media Festival, 5th edition, Hardcore Art Contemporary Space, Miami, FL
2010 The Liberators Project/Liberadores (Denver Biennial of the Americas), Museo de las Americas, Denver, CO.
2010 Adaptation, Art and Culture Center of Hollywood, Hollywood, FL.
2009 Water: Three States, Auburn University Art Gallery, Auburn, AL.
2009 Polar Identity, Works Gallery, San Jose, CA.
2009 Antarctica: Collection from the Bottom of the World, Maryland Science Center, Baltimore, MD.
2009 Sustainable?, Central Connecticut State University Gallery, New Britain, CT.
See more at EXHIBITS
For more detailed information click here.
You may also want to read About the Artist biography and visit www.cortada.com.
Florida International University
College of Architecture + The Arts
420 Lincoln Road, Suite 430
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Xavier Cortada's participatory art practice is based at Florida International University.