FLOR500, Garden 61 Clifford Meigs, Developer, Mayor (ca. 1900–1960) In the 1940s, Meigs developed a community of 160 houses for military officers from Eglin Air Force Base. It was first called Port Dixie, but later renamed Shalimar. The town of Shalimar was incorporated in 1947. Meigs served as its mayor from 1947 to 1960. Greatly responsible for Shalimar’s continuous growth, the Meigs family donated land for Choctawhatchee High School (now Meigs Middle School), Meigs Stadium, and what would become the Shalimar Courthouse Annex.
Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Register
FLOR500: Garden 61
Share |


 
 
 
 
 
Region 1 : Northwest Florida
 
 

GARDEN 61

Clifford Meigs, Developer, Mayor 

< previous | next > 

 

Clifford Meigs, Developer, Mayor 

(ca. 1900–1960)   

In the 1940s, Meigs developed a community of 160 houses for military officers from Eglin Air Force Base. It was first called Port Dixie, but later renamed Shalimar. The town of Shalimar was incorporated in 1947. Meigs served as its mayor from 1947 to 1960. Greatly responsible for Shalimar’s continuous growth, the Meigs family donated land for Choctawhatchee High School (now Meigs Middle School), Meigs Stadium, and what would become the Shalimar Courthouse Annex.   





 




FIU College of Architecture + The Arts


Xavier Cortada
Artist-in-Residence
Florida International University
College of Architecture + The Arts
420 Lincoln Road, Suite 430
Miami Beach, FL 33139

Xavier Cortada's participatory art practice is based at Florida International University.






FLOR500

 Reclamation Project






 NYFA sponsored-artist participatory eco-art projects

 

Native Flags   


 


  

 

 

 

 ©2008-2014 Xavier Cortada. All text content, videos, and images are the property of Xavier Cortada.

Any reproductions, revisions or modifications of this website without expressed consent of Xavier Cortada is prohibited by law.

facebook twiiter.com/xcortada