The women of the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs persuaded the Model
Land Company to give them Paradise Key and environs in the Everglades. On that
land, they founded and operated Royal Palm State Park from 1916 to 1947, when
Everglades National Park opened with their former park as its centerpiece
(present-day Anhinga and Gumbo Limbo trails). The women included Mary Barr
Munroe (Miami), Ivy Stranahan (Fort Lauderdale), and May Mann Jennings.